Friday, November 05, 2010

Just call me Suzy Homemaker

Yesterday, I made my first batch of homemade laundry detergent. Call me superwoman! It really didn't take as long as I thought it would and John was home all day so his help was awesome. I now wished I had taken pictures along the way but that would've been too easy! Ha!
We used :

1 bar of Fels-Naptha soap
1 cup of Arm&Hammer Super Washing Soda
1/2 cup Borax

Grate the bar of soap and mix with 4 cups hot water on the stove. Stir continuosly until soap is melted..but don't let it boil or the bubbles will freak you out. Trust me on that one.
Mix the Washing Soda and Borax with 2 1/2 gallons of water and add the melted soap - stir until completely dissolved.
Add another 2 1/2 gallons of water and cover. Let it sit overnight and then stir it again in the morning.
Rinse out an old laundry bottle and fill it halfway with soap and the rest of the way with hot water. Shake and use!
I use 1/4 to 1/2 a cup per load and I have a front loading washer. I just took the first load of clothes out of ther dryer and seriously the stuff is amazing! I can't go as far as using vinegar on my clothes because I love the smell of softener too much, but this hopefully will really cut back on our grocery bill. I was spending at least $17 a trip on a bottle of Tide and it would only last me for about 2 weeks.

Now, if I could only get my booty in gear and start cutting coupons....!!!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

haha awesome. I made my own the other day as well but it's even easier. You boil water, remove from heat dump in some soap nuts, cover and leave overnight. :)